Sunday, July 21, 1861 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

21-1 Clear. Some clouds in early morning before 8 am and much cooler. I was slightly annoyed last night by a mosquito, but on the whole slept very well. Up about 4 ½ to 5 am. Walked up to National before breakfast and inquired for letters. Got none. Breakfasted at 7 ½ to 8 am. Saw an old gentleman at stable whose voice [?] struck me as very familiar. Then examined his animation [?] and settled hey and den[?] that he was my old friend Thomas Wallace whom I have not seen for 20 to 28 years. Inquired the name of one of the waiters and found him to be the veritable Thomas Wallace. When I got up from breakfast, I went around to his side of the table, took his hand, and told him when he should be done breakfast I wanted to see him when he should get through. He looked at me earnestly but did not know me. He is now about 77 years old he says but looks remarkably well. After he came out from breakfast, I met him, but he could not make me out. When I told him I was the veritable "Charley Rawn" that boarded with him some 30 years ago, he expressed great pleasure at meeting me. He is the same Tommy Wallace in manners and matter yet. I met here two interesting and intelligent men one named William Tyler and the other surname [?] the former of Pautauket, Mass. The other of Ohio at 11 am. We went to Dr. Gurbey’s Presbyterian Church where a gentleman of New York named Cowen preached and where the communion was administered in which Wm. Tyler and myself participated. Dr. G’s church (a new one) of which I have heard a good deal over not come entirely up to my expectations. Is a two story church that is with lecture Room and in basement with a very elevated entrance (same with steps) to the church or audience floor. I [?] with [?] stove trimmings. Within narrow front patio 4 columns. I attended there again in Ev. At 8 and heard the Dr. preach an interesting sermon on parental duty illustrated by a history of the early life and conversion at over 31 yrs. pope [?] of Aurelius Augustus—Service about an hour in length and after 10 o’clock when I got back to quarters. Wrote letter to my wife this afternoon at 4 o’clock—was introduced by Wm. Tyler to a gentleman and his wife named Shaw, who quarters at this house. He and his wife are very tall fine looking people. She remarkably tall for a woman. He has been a civil Engineer in VA for the state in former time and is now as I understand fleeing from or leaving that state on account of the troubles. They have 2 children (sons) I believe with them and have two daughters in Charlottesville yet. There is a constant agitation here today about the progress of the fight which is raging at Bull’s Run, Centerville, Fairfax and in that vicinity. The firing is heard here it is said occasionally through the day, though I have not been in any suitable position to listen attentively for it. To bed 11 PM.

Editor's Note: Mr. Thomas Wallace is also mentioned in the Rawn entry dated January 16, 1832. Mary Groff, "A Lawyer’s Life," December 1996: 7.

Monday, July 22, 1861 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

July 22 – 2 Rain. Rained steadily all day. Commenced in last night. The city in a tremendous excitement this morning from the war news. Dead, wounded and dying being brought in continually. I saw several of the wounded. One man with a Buck shot in the neck. Marks [?] of a man Regt. Wounded badly in the right arm—taken into a Boarding Home across the way from my quarters. Gentlemen’s brother James, of the [?] Highland Regiment was killed dead by a shot directly through the head. I saw and talked with a friend of his Regiment who saw him after he was killed and who asked to carry him into a[?] and off the field and who says he brought his son [?] to the city. He says some 300 of their Regt. Must have been killed. The latter of Bull’s Run which was on Thursday was renewed again yesterday morning at 6 or 7 o’clock. When I say Bull’s Run it is meant in that vicinity. From all accounts which of course are measurably wild and unforgettable [?] in a degree the slaughter on both sides has been immense—in the thousands. There was desperate fighting—desperate fright in some quarters and desperate getting out of the way in all many directions and in all imaginable disorder by some of our troops as I make out by the statements. Cameron’s Regt as one of his men informed me was getting along in the battle very well till they were come on suddenly and unexpectedly by the cavalry and not being able to form in hollow square could not resist a terrible slaughter with the charge made on them. The Regt was compared as the man says of all Scotchmen.[?] Sundry prisoners of the rebel army have been brought in this morning and through the night as I understand this now about 10 ¼ am and I shall look around for further information. Excitement continued whole day. I saw and talked with a number of wounded men. There are small and large crowds here and there over the city and especially at the Hotels and along the PA avenue who are listening gracefully to the various accounts of soldiers who were in the fight. I rode in omnibus about 11 am to 12 ½ PM to Georgetown intending to go to the soldiers’ hospital but as it rained hard and I wanted to be at the Capitol at 12 to 1 PM. I merely changed p[?] and rode back to the Capitol and paid round trip .12

Paid Ropes [?] and envelopes5
Paid Pos. stamps10
Paid Lemonade at Capitol5

Editor's Note: Paul Fleischman, Bull Run (New York: Harper Collins, 1993) inside cover. See Appendix 3 for map of Bull Run vicinity.

Wrote to my wife at Harrisburg in reply to hers received this morning. Was at Capitol till about 2 PM. Spent afternoon and Evening at my boarding House in consequence of the constant and heavy rain. To bed 10.

Tuesday, July 23, 1861 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

23-3 Clear. Fine. Pleasant. Fine air. Met Capt. McCormick on street soon after breakfast who informs me that "our boys" and the "Lochiel Greys" are at Harper’s Ferry with sundry Regiments and have been there since Sunday. Army came there Sunday. I have also met J. P. Rutherford, Judge Wilmot at his room who gave me a note to Gen’l Mansfield for "a pass" to go into VA also saw and shook hands with Gen’l Cameron at war Department and others. Got pass of Gen’l Mansfield as above. Talked with him and H. B. Wright of Luzerne, PA. He seemed much depressed about the fight at Manasses and said he expected the rebels would take Washington and Baltimore and then it would be up with us. I instrumented [?] my experience—the sentiment he is certainly failing or getting childish or is awfully scared. I left note at war department for Gen’l Cameron (v. copy kept) wrote to my wife from McAlvine [?] Brown’s desk in said department (ordinance). Went in omnibus to Capitol at 1 ½ PM and on to the floor of the House and had the benefit of a seat along side of the Hon. Jos. Bailey of Perry Co., PA who informed me of different members by name and pointed them out such as Bennet [?] and Ex. Gov. Wickliffe of Kentucky, Sullan Digham of Ohio. L. and McClennand of Ills, and Mr. Bailey says that Mr. G. is an excellent speaker and I should so judge from what I have seen in two or three days.

I paid omnibus ride from war Department to Capitol 6
And Lemonade at Capitol 6

To quarters at 2, dinner at 3 ½ and in till after tea at 6 ½. Visited Willard and others after tea to find Capt. Henry McCormick. Found him at the Washington Hotel, where he introduced me to Dr. Owen. He said he was going back to Harpers Ferry in the morning. And that the whole of Gen’l Patterson’s army had moved to that place from Charlestown on Sunday last. That my son Chas. Had been unwell with some cold, fever, tooth ache and he had advised him to ride to the Ferry. I met young Geiger of Harrisburg and Hon. Jos. Bailey of Perry at Willards. To bed 10.

Editor's Note: Captain Henry McCormick recruited volunteers from Harrisburg, Pennsylvania in 1861—Company F, Lochiel Grays, 25th Regiment. He and his wife, Annie Criswell, had five children: Henry Buehler, Vance, Mary, Hugh, and Annie.

Editor's Note: Captain John Parke Rutherford (February 14, 1802-May 12, 1871) was an abolitionist and served as quartermaster in the United States Army during the Civil War.

Wednesday, July 24, 1861 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

July 24 – 4 Clear. Fine. Pleasant. Mr. Tyler and myself set out at 8 to 9 am to the Smithsonian Institute where we spent about 2 hours highly entertained with the Paintings in the museum grounds and at 12 noon we went to the Capitol and remained to near PM.

I paid newspapers and Lemonade.7
Tobac at Fitzgeralds10
For washerwoman (3 pieces).25

Spent rest of day till after tea at quarters. Wrote to my wife in reply to letter received from her yesterday and after tea met Newton Davis, Geo W. McCallan and Mirting [?] of Harrisburg. Soon after me Hank Davis brother of above who has gone with Col. Cowen’s Regiment as adj. I think and for whose safety fear here being entertained at Willard’s Hotel and there wrote another letter to my wife and enclosed both in one envelope and sent by n.h. Dairy. He informed me that the Lochiel boys were in Baltimore today (this morning, I believe) on there [sic] way home. Their Capt certainly knew nothing of this move when I saw him last night between 9 and 10 PM. This time is not actually up till 1 to 2 am. Met G. W. Harris Esq at Willards. We talked together [?] and walked down the avenue together when I came home to my quarters. To bed 10.

Editor's Note: George Washington Harris (June 23, 1798-August 13, 1882) was the son of John Harris, the founder of the city of Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He was admitted to the Dauphin County Bar in 1820.

Thursday, July 25, 1861 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

25 – 5 Clear. Fine. Hot Sun. Warm. My new friend Mr. Tyler of Pautauket, Mass left for home this morning. He is a remarkably pleasant and instructive companion. I went to Willards Hotel after breakfast. Met Jos. Casey, Esq, Theo Adams and others. Mr. Casey informed me that he had had a conversation with Gen’l Cameron who expressed he was willing to give my son Chas a Lieutenants commission in the Regular army. I told Mr. Casey that I highly appreciated his kindness in that I did not wish myself that Chas should enter the army at all, nor did I feel entirely free to dissuade him from it. That Chas had expressed himself to me as preferring the artillery arm of the service if he did enter. I also met Mr. Wiestling who wanting to go to Alexandria today or he was going home in the evening, I agreed as a matter of company to go with him. We went to Judge Wilmots. Lowery, Hukmary [?] and Baileys quarters to get note to Gen’l Mansfield for paper, but not finishing there in went to Capitol where we found Mr. Bailey who [?]—

New paper and Envelopes.6
Omnibus fare today25
Lemonade for self.6
Steamboat fare to and back from Alexandria15

Mr. W. and self started on boat for Alexendria at 12 to 1 PM. Got to Alex, at about 1 ¾ PM. Looked round city and especially at the Marshall home where Ellsworth was shot. Found it with soldiers quartered in it. City crowded with soldiers. Said house, a stain lay [?] where Ellsworth was shot he’s been [?] [?] and carried away in small pieces and chips all the stairs are considerably demolished—We found the town perfectly desolate in business appearances, greater pomp of houses, and stores cleared and vacated. This a larger and much better looking city than I thought for by odds. My two other sights of it were unfavorable the last in 1852 and very brief. We returned in steamboat at 3 to 4 PM and from Boat to PA Avenue in omnibus and I got my dinner at about 4 ¼ PM. Mr. Wiestling went after his du[?] and leaves for Harrisburg this Evening. I received a note from Hon. Simon Cameron dated 23 inst. P or 1—postmarked 25 inst. In answer to mine of said business [?]—made up this [?] at 5 to 6 PM. Spent Ev. walking around to Hotels—Received letter from my wife, Harrisburg 24 inst. To bed at 10 PM.

Editor's Note: Charles Buxton Going, David Wilmot, Free-Soiler: A Biography of the Great Advocate of the Wilmot Proviso (Gloucester: Appleton, 1966) 553. The Honorable David Wilmot served as a U.S. Senator from Pennsylvania from 1861 to 1863.

Friday, July 26, 1861 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

26 – 6 Clear. Fine. Very hot sun. Went to war department about 9 am.

Rode up in omnibus.6
Tubine[?] last Ev.5
Omnibus ride to Capitol6

This ride was by M.Rutherford and self from Presidential mansion to omnibus ride at 4 to

Gen’l Cameron6
Lemonade at Capitol6

Met Judge String at war department. J.P.N. Hilfrat, M. W. Mucbrenner’s room an hour or more. JPR Hilfrat met and talked with Gen’l Cameron received invitation to dine with him at 4 ½ PM which we accepted. We met gentleman by name of Krempron of Ohio who was very anxious to see Gen’l Se[?]. We waited till he came to his office quarters by war Department and stood clear by and nodded to him as he got out of his carriage and walked in. JPR and self remained at Capitol at Senate and in House of Rep to about 2 PM when we left. I came to my quarters—at 4 PM met JPR there and we had a very pleasant social time dining with the Gen’l at a circular table holding 4 to 8 persons comfortably. Present at dinner was the Gen’l, JPR, Dr. Boggs, the General’s brother in law, and self. We had a plain but most excellent dinner of boiled chicken, pork and beans, very fine potatoes, and the nicest [?] tomatoes, [?] even toasted, also first class champagne and Sherry. I had half dined at my quarters at 3 ½ PM before going there, as I was very hungry but every thing tastes so very excellent at the General’s that I made another normally full dinner and found the wine to go very natural and to taste extra. The Gen’l told me he intended to give my son Chas a [?] or Lieut in the army. Also Ed. Pollack. I told him Chas would prefer to get into the artillery arm of the service. He said he did not know about that he is greatly awarded but I believe is remarkably efficient and enduring. I was very [?] and kind. We talked of his brother killed at the last battle. The boy revered his horse, a most beautiful boy stallion about 9 years old but the body of his brother had not been recovered. He being smart delightfully not far from the department. We went out at his insistence after dinner to look at his stud of horses—all his carriages. He has a beautiful pair of long legged deer, speedy looking horses. He rides his brothers. His brother in law Bruce is there is a clerk in war department and came in to dinner part as we got through. We also met Saul Mumma of Dauphin County there who came in with Mr. Brown but not to dinner as he had dined. In the evening, JPR and self meeting Mr. Mumma usually at 8 to 9 PM, as his request went into restaurant and took lemonade with him. When I returned to my quarters about 8 ¾ I found my son Calvin here who had come on in pursuance of some of my letters from him to my wife—I was of [?] glad to meet him as m[?] also of Rutherford—he handed me a letter from wife. We went to bed at 9 to 10.

Saturday, July 27, 1861 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

27-7 Clear and cloudy. Pleasant. Son Calvin and self took omnibus after breakfast to war department.

Paid back to Capitol at 12 ½ PM12
Lemonade, nuts and Lemon and pos. stamps (+9)19

We met John P. Rutherford, S. Mumma, Judge Wm Murray, and Richard Fox at said dept. I wrote letter whilst there to my wife and left to go from when W[?] room in said department at 12 ½ PM. He and self went to Capitol to Senate chambers to hear speech of Johnson of Tennessee another special joint resolution to approve of the Presidents course in the war proceedings. Men’s galleries filled. Ladies partially so. He commenced at 1 PM. We remained till about 2. He is an earnest argumentative speaker. I understand he finished about 4 PM. His speech is spoken of as of a high and patriotic order. When we left the Senate we went into the House for half an hour or more. Went to Library. Home to our quarters at 2 ½ to 3. Dinner at 3 ½ at 5 PM. Went to the [?] grounds at the march and the Marine Band from the Navy Yard answered [?] of some 32 to 40 persons hands dressed in scarlet [?] are in the habit of having every Saturday from 5 to 7 as I understand there is a commanding and pleasant tower erected about 100 yds to the war of the mourn [?] where they sit and perform. The President and his Lady came out and remained on the new patio of the mansion during the performance where persons looked and stared at them as much as they pleased. Mrs. L. appears to be a nice, rather short, pleasant faced looking little lady, and I was strangely disposed to believe in scanning her closely that she feels "her keeping" as weary or perhaps more [?] the distinction of the position. The President is a better looking man than his pictures very large mouth and nose, black whiskers and goatee and hair of head and a younger looking man than I had heretofore. President does not look over 50. When he talked to the ladies, his wife and another on the Patio he looked animated and agreeable and laughed with a perfectly demonstrative gesture as he sat for an hour or more before the ladies joined him at that forward part of the patio he appeared to be the king profound and huxingly [?]—upon the whole I am much pleased with his looks and manners.

John Calvin [?] Shaw a son of the Mr. Shaw introduced to me by Mr. Tyler some days ago, who is just about the age of my son John Calvin, very tall and fine, intelligent, pleasant boy went with us to capitol. His father I understand graduated at West Point. He is a very gentleman’s man of polished manners and conversation, sure to be of a high moral standard perhaps religious, considering [?] the entering of war at West Point with the army of demoralizing. We spent Ev. At home after we got tea at 7 ½ PM, except that of C. and young Shaw went to the pub. To bed 10.

Jump to date: