Sunday, September 21, 1862 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

Sept. 21. – x x x x I was up early with bilious diarrhea and some griping. Not meeting any of the troop in town this morning, as I had expected, to send word to camp that I would remain in town to-day, being Sunday, as I was not well enough to move much in the hot sun, I got on my mare about 8 A.M., and rode out half way toward our camp, but cam back and remained until after dinner. At 1 to 2 P.M., our Pennsylvania regiment that went on towards WIlliamsport on Friday came back on their way to Greencastle. Saw my son, John Calvin, and many others I knew, and spoke with him and some of his comrades. Between 3 and 4 O’clock I put one of the back boys on my mare and started him out to camp with a note to Capt. Byers. He returned stating that they had left, but when or for what place he did not know. I ascertained {that put in with an arrow by writer} they had left that morning for Greencastle. I went to Gen. Reynolds’ head quarters and got a special pass to Greencastle, General Reynolds asking when they had left, and saying they had been ordered home the night before. I paid my bill at the hotel, and met Ed. Watts at the stavle and he persuaded me to get in his carriage and go to his house near and take some extra Old Rye. I did so. At about 5 P.M., I think I left Hagerstown on my mare for Greencastle, where I arrived at the camp of our troop in a woods about a mile north of the town about 7 to 7 ½ P.M. Fixed my mare up for the night, delivered sundry letters I had for the fellows, took a bite of supper with them, to wit: a small piece of bread and chicken, and went into town at 8 to 9 and to bed at Miss Kunkles, where Lieut Boyd and self staid all night on our way to Dixie. To bed here at 9 to 10 P.M.

Monday, September 22, 1862 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

Sept. 22. – Clear, fine, cool in the morning. Went out to camp about 6 A.M. Formed them getting ready for a move homeward. I had understood from Gen. Reynolds that they would await further orders from him in Greencastle, but found that Capt Byers had importuned Gov. Curtin on his way through there in the cars the evening he came from Hagerstown, and that the Governor had finally consented with some manifestations of reluctance and dissatisfaction, that he might proceed home with his command, expressing himself rather impatiently, or so that he wished we had not come. I did not approve neither did Lieut Boyd who confided with me of the Captain’s impatience to get home, though I was not present when he so importuned the Governor, and besides I consider it would have been more regular to wait further orders from Gen. Reynolds. It is true our mission seemed to be fully performed and at an end, and the Captain getting impatient to get home to business. He had not left {Hagerstown placed in with an arrow by writer} exactly according to orders, and I considered his doing so without sending a special messenger to me in town to see what was the matter, and inform me he was going, and when, as considerably out of place and deficient.(?) I may here add the he seemed influenced considerably as to going into Dixie at all by my opinion that we ought to go by all means, at least until we should report to Reynolds in Hagerstown, and leave the future after that to circumstances and contingencies. I shall also add here that from what I saw of Gen. R., I consider him rather small potatoes – a great deal more of strut(?) and pretension than good manners, or any apparent qualities worthy of admiration – vulgarity rough – and profane without any adequate cause to excite it.

We left camp at Greencastle about 6 ½ A.M. x x x x x x We halted near Shippensburg about 1 P.M., to feed, tc. The Captain had said we would stop in Shippensburg, but when we came there, he said we would go through to a woods. I had neither horse feed or rations along, as he and some others had, and therefore Stopped stopped in the east end of S. at a house and fed my horse and got supper – a bite of bread, butter, eggs and meat. Bugler Beeker also stopped there, and a man, whose name I forgot, from Capt. Hoffman’s cavalry Company, on his way home with us, being unwell. Hoffmans company we left in same woods at Greencastle that we had camped in last night. x x x x x We got on our way at about 2 P.M., and came up to our fellows in the woods about 1 ½ miles from Shippensburg. Stopped there half an hour or more until they were ready to start, and there the whole troop put off about 2 ½ to 3 P.M., for "Stone Tavern", within some six or seven miles of Carlisle, where we had halted a few minutes to water when on our way to Dixie. We reached the Tavern, a most excellent place to stop, with extensive stabling, a large, good house, and plenty of women and help about, where we got our horses put away snugly and got a most excellent supper, seating about one-third of our men, and some strangers there, at a table at one time.

Tuesday, September 23, 1862 page icon [Intro & Addenda] pdf icon [PDF]

Sept. 23. – Clear, - fine hot sun. Rose at 5 A.M. Looked after our horses, feeding, currying, tc. Commenced our breakfast with the first table at about 6 A.M., and got through with all the men with two tables. Fixed our horses, saddled, loaded equipments, and at 7 A.M., I formed the company. x x x We took up our line of march at 7; rode about sixteen miles – halting a few minutes in Carlisle – to a very good country Inn, with good stabling, near Mechanicsburg, where we fed our horses, got bread, butter and molasses and such refreshments in the way of saraparilla and stronger fixings at the bar as the fellows saw fit to take, and at 1 P.M., started for the remaining 9 to 9 ½ miles, for home. Arrived in Harrisburg at 4 ½ P.M. The streets were lined with men, women and children, awaiting our arrival, who greeted us with demonstrations of warm welcome. We marched to the Bomgardener House, kept by Stone (who had signed our roll as a member of the company, but did not go with us because he had no horse and could not get one, and who had forwarded a note to us at Mechanicsburg asking us to partake of refreshments at his house on our arrival.) We were dismissed there to put our horses away, and returned to partake of his excellent entertainment, (as I was informed by the Captain it was) for I was too tired and too busy talking with them at home to wash up, tc., in time to be there, and so did not go.

Wife, Daughter, Fau, Sister, J. R. and our woman Nora, all very glad to meet us. Mr. and Mrs. Pears on came in at 6 ½ to 7 to welcome me. I talked till my lungs were tired of our trip, giving them all the most prominent incidents. At about 8 P.M., Son John Calvin came home, weary and sore. We talked and ceased and resumed again and resolved on quitting two or three times, and at nine O’clock went to bed to enjoy one night rest in ten or a dozen.

Note: The next transcribed journal entry jumps to August 30, 1863.

Jump to date: