MG 161 - Zimmerman Family Collection

<< MG 160MG 162 >>

Scope and Content

Collection contains the minute book of the Brick Manufacturers of the City of Harrisburg kept by George Z. Zimmerman from January to August, 1888; legal papers of C. O. Zimmerman, 1866-1870, including deeds, mortgages, articles of agreement, invoice and cancelled checks; the last will and testament of William O. Zimmerman, made in 1857, filed for probate in 1869. Four deeds for a property on Front Street were transferred to the deed collection (MG 835). No connection to the Zimmerman family could be found. It was a deed for Lot #19 sold to John C. Kunkel via a sheriff's sale in 1851; deed for the sale by John C. Kunkel to Daniel Gross in 1861; deed for the sale by Daniel Gross to George Kemble in 1866; deed for the sale by George Kemble to Clara Charlton in 1867.

Background

Conrad O. Zimmerman b. 1820, was a long-time resident of Harrisburg engaged in the manufacture of brick from a very early date. He built up a large and productive trade and in 1885 admitted his son George Z. Zimmerman to a partnership in the business. The Zimmerman brickyard, managed by George Z. Zimmerman after his father's death in 1895, was one of the largest and best equipped plants in the State, located at the corner of Ninth and Reily Streets.

Date(s): 1857-1888

Extent: 2 folders, 19 enclosures