MG 588 - Harrisburg Typographical Association Collection

<< MG 587MG 589 >>

Scope and Content

Membership certificate issued to Theodore F. Sheffer in 1836 and a printed notice sent to the president and members of the Association concerning the formation of a union with the resulting resolutions adopted by the Harrisburg Association recorded by the corresponding secretary, Jos. C. Hayes, May 30, 1836.

Background

Harrisburg Typographical Association was one of the original typographical associations in the country and is the direct ancestor of the Harrisburg Typographical Union. It was organized in the early 1800's.

Theodore F. Sheffer was one of the charter members and one of the leading master printers and binders and book sellers of Harrisburg. His printing house and book store were located at 21 South Second Street, opposite Market Square Church.

Date(s): 1836

Extent: 2 folders, 2 enclosures