MG 658 - Woodward School Society Collection

<< MG 657MG 659 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains a notebook of membership lists of pupils, teachers, reunion attendees; a small notebook of membership dues paid from 1901 to 1904; a scrapbook of events of the Society from 1902 to 1911 including correspondence, invitations, news clips, etc.; and a photo of Abigail Young Woodward.

Background

The Woodward School Society was started in 1898 by some of the pupils of Abigail Young Woodward who had profited by the educational instruction they received and appreciated the influence she had in their lives. The membership was open to any pupil or teacher of Miss Woodward's Seminary, as well as the students and teachers of the girl's high school during her principalship, any student of music, art and language, and students and teachers of Mrs. LeCont's school. The Society erected a memorial fountain in memory of Abigail Young Woodward at the Walnut Street entrance to Reservoir Park. She died in December, 1907. The fountain was dedicated on December 4, 1911.

Date(s): 1901-1911

Extent: 3 folders, 4 enclosures