MG 693 - Lochiel Hotel Collection

<< MG 692MG 694 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains bound volumes of accounts of the Lochiel Hotel from 1875 to 1900 and fifteen unbound account papers, 1877 to 1891. The bound volumes include:

Accounts with Employees, 1880-1890

Accounts with Women Employees, 1891

Tobacco and Cigar Account Book, 1887-1891

Bank Accounts, 1890-1891

Two volumes of accounts with Individuals, 1875-1899

One volumes of the accounts of property and insurance, 1874-1891

Two volumes of the supply books, 1880-1890

Monthly Statements of Gas Meter, 1875-1877

Account book of Liquors in Cellar, 1889-1891

The unbound papers include:

Vegetable account, 1877

Hotel account, 1888

Cigar Stand Inventory, 1888

Republican State Convention account, 1887

Eleven pieces of miscellaneous accounts from 1883 to 1891.

Background

The Lochiel Hotel was located on the southwest corner of Market and Third Streets. The building was constructed in 1834 by Matthew Wilson and known as the Wilson Hotel. In 1853 it was purchased by Daniel Herr and named the Herr Hotel. George Hunter purchased the hotel in 1874 and did extensive renovations. He renamed it the Lochiel Hotel at the suggestion of Simon Cameron whose ancestors were Scots. It became the hangout of Pennsylvania Republican party notables. In 1912 the building was once again renovated and connected to the Colonial Theater. The Lochiel Hotel closed in April, 1920.

Date(s): 1875-1900

Extent: 1 carton, 2 boxes, 21 enclosures