MG 022 - Gilliard Dock Collection

<< MG 021MG 023 >>

Scope and Content

Includes an autograph album of Clara Rehrer Dock with poems, signatures and locks of hair, 1838; a handwritten letter by Gilliard Dock to Josiah Caldwell with a report on the Lorberry coal land, 1863; a patent granted to Gilliard Dock for an improved railroad-car wheel, 1868; a certificate for 300 shares of stock in the Harrisburg Copper Mining and Smelting Company issued to Gilliard Dock, 1881; a newspaper article on "Coal Trade" from the Upper-Dauphin Register, 1868; reports of the Directors of the Short Mountain Coal Company for 1866, 1868 & 1869; a card announcing a talk on "Forestry and Village Improvement" by Mira Lloyd Dock, 1898.

Background

Gilliard Dock b. 1827, d. 1895, was the son of William and Margaret Gilliard Dock. He was a machinist by trade and had a shop at Fourth Street and Strawberry Avenue, Harrisburg. He was later associated with railroad companies and collieries. He was superintendent of the Harrisburg Gas Company and established the City Grocery on North Third Street. He left this company to go into partnership with George Bonbright in the Harrisburg Provision Company. He was married to Lavinia Bombaugh, daughter of Aaron Bombaugh; they had seven children: Myra, William, Lavinia, George, Margaret, Laura, and Emily. He died at his residence, 1001 North Second Street.

Date(s): 1838-1898

Extent: 1 folder, 7 enclosures