MG 075 - Harrisburg City Passenger Railway Company

<< MG 074MG 076 >>

Scope and Content

Consists of an account ledger, 1875-1891, with signatures of the president, Henry A. Kelker, and the directors; a printed form of the rules and regulations, 1883; annual reports for 1947, 1949; tickets; a history of the company from the first horse car in 1865 to the motor coaches of the 1930's; two copies of a pamphlet describing the bus routes of the Transit Company of Harrisburg including pictures of the various conveyances.

Background

Prior to 1865 there was no public transportation in the city of Harrisburg. The city was growing, and at that time a large encampment was housed at Camp Curtin and the soldiers had no way to get to town except to walk. Shortly thereafter the first horsecar route was begun from the railroad station to Market Square, to Walnut Street, to Third Street, to Verbeke Street and east along the rows of market houses. It wasn't long before other routes were established. The horsecars seated eighteen passengers, traveled about six miles per hour and cost $500.00. Each driver owned the horses he drove, the cars were usually drawn by only one horse. The fare was six cents. The first electric street car service was inaugurated between Harrisburg and Steelton in July, 1888. Before the turn of the century these cars were being improved from four-wheeler to six-wheeler to eight-wheeler, and in 1925 the all steel car made its appearance. The year 1933 saw the introduction of the motor bus, and this started another process of improvements in safety, comfort, and service. The present day fleet of large, long, low motor coaches provide safe, quiet, fast, dependable transportation.

Date(s): 1875-1949

Extent: 5 folders, 9 enclosures