MG 078 - Catholic High School of Harrisburg

<< MG 077MG 079 >>

Scope and Content

Consists of a booklet with a short history of Catholic High School of Harrisburg, now known as Bishop McDevitt High School, with descriptions of the building, explanations of the plaques and carvings, photographs, and list of contributors to the building campaign fund; a commencement program for 1946 and copies of the yearbook "Pridwen" for 1942, 1943, 1949, 1950-1953.

Diploma issued to George Nicholas Pauly in June, 1951 added to the collection.


The Catholic High School of Harrisburg was opened in September, 1918, in the Cathedral Hall at Church and North Streets. Growth of the school was continuous and a campaign was begun in 1925 for funds for the construction of a new building. Ground was broken in July, 1929 at Twenty-first and Market Streets and the corner-stone was laid by the Right Reverend Philip R. McDevitt, Bishop of Harrisburg in October, 1929.

Date(s): 1931-1949

Extent: 2 boxes, 8 folders, 10 enclosures