MG 174 - Needlework Guild of America

<< MG 173MG 175 >>

Scope and Content

Collection consists of a copy of the By-Laws of the Needlework Guild of America, 1917; membership blanks, order blank and price list, 1917; director's book and section book; the director's reports for 1918-1920; financial reports for 1918-1920; correspondence, 1918-1920; and a listing of local institutions and their needs.

Background

The Needlework Guild of America was founded in Philadelphia in 1885 and incorporated in 1896. Its object was to collect new garments and distribute them to hospitals, homes and other charities. Only one branch could be formed in any city or town and an annual contribution of one or more new articles of wearing apparel or household linen, or a donation of money qualified for membership. Any member obtaining twenty-two articles and one money-member became a director. Men, women or children could become members. The national office was located in Philadelphia.

Date(s): 1917-1920

Extent: 6 folders, 20 enclosures