MG 221 - Harrisburg Community Theater

<< MG 220MG 222 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains the playbills for the productions of the Community Theater from 1940 to 1992 and the 1996-97 season; copies of the "HCT Callboard," a newsletter of the theater, 1988-90; correspondence; advertising brochures; and "A Theatrical History of Harrisburg," printed in the Harrisburg Telegraph, February, 1941.

Background

The Harrisburg Community Theater was organized in April, 1926. Their first production was "The Dover Road," staged at the Majestic Theater. After several seasons of staging plays wherever possible, the old Lutheran church building at 15th and Shoop Streets became HCT's stage and workshop. In 1932 HCT rented space in the old Jewish Community Center at 1110 North Third Street, where they remained for the next 19 years. In 1951 they realized the Theater's long time dream of having a building of its own at Sixth and Hurlock Streets. In the fall of 1999 the name Harrisburg Community Theater was changed to Theatre Harrisburg and the productions were staged at Whitaker Center, Market Street. The building on Hurlock Street continues to be their headquarters.

Date(s): 1940-1997

Extent: 1 carton, 2 boxes, 60 folders