MG 236 - Women's War Relief Auxiliary

<< MG 235MG 237 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains two ledgers with the records of the Auxiliary formed in July, 1898, to provide supplies to the soldiers during the Spanish-American War (the War Relief Rooms) and later a place for the soldiers from Fort Meade in Middletown to relax (the Soldiers' Rest).

The treasurer's book provides an account of donations and expenditures, August to November, 1898.

The other ledger contains invoices, receipts, cancelled checks, lists of contributors, a map of Camp Meade in Middletown, the register of attendees at the Soldier's Rest, a photo of the building at the corner of Walnut Street and Court Alley in Harrisburg, and numerous other records the Auxiliary kept on a daily basis.

Background

The Women's War Relief Auxiliary was formed in July, 1898 to provide comfort and relief to the soldiers of the Spanish-American War. Rooms were set up for the ladies of the Auxiliary to sew pajamas, sheets, nightshirts, towels, and other items needed by the soldiers. Later a Soldiers' Rest was established at the corner of Walnut Street and Court Alley in Harrisburg to provide a place for the soldiers at Camp Meade to spend time. It provided writing and music rooms, a wash room, and later provided a daily lunch at no charge to any of the soldiers. Medical attention was also supplied by a staff of local physicians.

Date(s): 1898

Extent: 1 box, 2 ledgers