MG 257 - Daughters of the American Revolution, Harrisburg Chapter

<< MG 256MG 258 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains a brief history of the first ten years of the Harrisburg Chapter of the DAR presented at its annual meeting in 1904; a program for the dedicatory ceremonies at Paxton Church, 1906; program for a historical pageant at Island Park, 1925; program for the dedication of a marker at Harrisburg cemetery, 1941; information booklet, 1965-1968; program for the memorial service at the grave of John Harris, Sr., 1978; awards presentation at the William Penn Museum, 1982; program for the 100th anniversary tea at the John Harris/Simon Cameron Mansion, 1994; a certificate of membership for Erma Wilson Ehler, 1941; and two application forms for membership in the Pennsylvania Society of Sons of the Revolution.

Background

The Harrisburg Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution was formed on May 19, 1894 at the home of Mrs. Francis Wyeth, who had been appointed as regent. Mrs. Francis Jordan founded the chapter which had twelve charter members. The purposes of the DAR were "to perpetuate the memory and spirit of the men and women who achieved American independence...to cherish, maintain and extend the institutes of American freedom; to foster true love of country, and aid in the security for mankind all the blessings of liberty."

Between 1906 and 1943, the Harrisburg Chapter was responsible for the placement of Revolutionary markers at seven local cemeteries and at Coxestown River Road and Paxton Gates.

Date(s): 1904-1994

Extent: 1 folder, 10 enclosures