MG 439 - Lescure Collection

<< MG 438MG 440 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains legal documents concerning the Chestnut Street Market Company, deeds dating back to 1792, and correspondence of William J. Lescure, Jr., 1937.

Legal documents include the application of the Chestnut Street Market Company to incorporate in March, 1888; leases, bonds, and agreements for the sale of land, 1885, 1888; briefs of title; deeds, 1867-1938, many of which concern the Market Company; correspondence, 1937, concerning the sale of the Friendship Fire Engine House to the Chestnut Street Market Company; certificate of title to property in Third Ward, 1931, and bonds from the City of Harrisburg to the Chestnut Street Market Company, 1938.

Background

William J. Lescure was born in Middletown in 1865. He was on the staff of Dauphin Deposit Bank and in 1898 he organized the investment firm of Lescure, Snavely and company and was in that business until 1921. He organized the Cumberland Valley Telephone Company in 1912 and was president until 1928. He was associated with the Chestnut Street Market Company from its organization in 1889 and was president for thirty years. He was married to Alice Carey Motter. He died in 1941 and burial was in Harrisburg Cemetery.

William J. Lescure, Jr., son of William and Alice Motter Lescure, was an attorney-at-law with offices at 331 Market Street, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

Date(s): 1792-1938

Extent: 1 box, 7 folders, 64 enclosures