MG 654 - Weir Family Collection

<< MG 653MG 655 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains the diplomas for Anna Weir, 1857, and Ellen Weir, 1862, from Harrisburg Female Seminary.


The Harrisburg Female Seminary was founded in 1849 by Anna Le Conte, and incorporated by the Legislature of Pennsylvania in 1853. Members of the Board of Trustees were James W. Weir, President; John C. Kunkel, Secretary; Adam Fisher, Daniel Boas, James R. Jones, William Kerr, and George Small. Enrollment increased steadily and by the winter term of 1858 consisted of about one hundred boarding and day students. The Seminary was located on Locust Street, now the Harrisburg Telegraph Building.

Date(s): 1857, 1862

Extent: 2 enclosures

Creator: Harrisburg Female Seminary