MG 656 - Community General Osteopathic Hospital Collection

<< MG 655MG 657 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains a booklet for the 25th anniversary building fund campaign, 1976, pledge card with return envelope, and a brochure for the 30th anniversary of the hospital.

Background

The first Osteopathic Hospital of Harrisburg was opened in June, 1951 in the Tracy Mansion at Front and Muench Streets. By 1956 additional space was needed and in 1960 the Ray O. Oberholzer Annex was dedicated. In 1966 the name "Community General Osteopathic Hospital" was chosen to reflect the character of the facility. The occupancy rate continued to increase and the Board of Trustees determined to build a new hospital. A thirty-acre site in Lower Paxton Township was purchased and plans begun to design a new facility. Ground breaking ceremonies were held in December, 1968 and the first patients transferred in March, 1970. Dedication services were held in June, 1970. By 1975 it was again apparent that the hospital must expand to meet increasing needs. An expansion campaign was made in conjunction with the 25th anniversary of the hospital, and the addition, named for R. N. Benjamin, opened in April, 1978.

Date(s): 1976, 1981

Extent: 1 folder, 4 enclosures