MG 705 - Map Collection

<< MG 704MG 706 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains approximately thirty-seven maps primarily of the Harrisburg, Dauphin County region from 1792 to 1979; the Topographical Atlas of Pennsylvania, 1872; the Historical Atlas of Dauphin County, 1875; and the Northern Central Railway Property Maps. Includes a map and guide to Colonial Park with a street directory published by the Community Club of Colonial Park about 1940.

Other maps included in the collection are a map of Pittsburgh, 1858; Bell Telephone Lines in the United States and Canada, 1904; Telegraph Lines Worldwide; the Anthracite Coal Fields of Pennsylvania, 1884.

Two volumes of the Sanborn Insurance Atlas of Harrisburg, 1929, are located in the library.

Eighteen additional maps of Pennsylvania, Dauphin County and Harrisburg, 1775-1871, including First Map of Harrisburg with Pennsylvania in 1775, Colonies in 1776, Harrisburg City in 1895 and a draft of four tracts of land in Dauphin County in 1877. Also, a copy of the map made by Jacob Bucher in 1810 from the Forster plan of Harrisburg dated 1796.

Three maps of the city of Harrisburg, 1901; two additional maps of Pennsylvania mounted on wood, 1831 and 1841.

A large map of the city of Harrisburg, 1875, colored by ward with lot lines and owners identified also added to collection, an atlas of the city of Harrisburg, 1889, and a map of Middletown showing the wards and names of owners of lots, undated.

Date(s): 1792-1979

Extent: 2 boxes, 1 large volume