MG 717 - Harrisburg Central High School Collection

<< MG 716MG 718 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains programs for reunions and commencement, photographs, issues of the "Argus," a scrapbook and news clippings. They include:

A newspaper clipping from the Sunday Patriot-News, March, 1983, with the history of the school

Reunion programs for the class of 1916 and 1926

Reunion registration for the class of 1917

Photograph of the 1916 class reunion in 1971

Issues of the yearbook, "Argus," 1919-1921, 1925-26

Commencement program, 1916

Class reunion photo of class of 1925

Class lists for class of 1925

Commencement program for Girls Central High School, 1870; issue of "Argus," 1922

List of graduates in 1922

Scrapbook of school activities of the class of 1910.

Background

The cornerstone for Central High School was laid in 1891 and the school opened in 1893. It was the finest secondary school between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. It was coed until 1920 and became Girls High until William Penn and John Harris replaced it and Harrisburg Tech in 1926. The school was located at Forster and Capital Streets. Dr. Charles B. Fager was the last principal of Central High School and made it an outstanding institution with four curricula: Classical, Latin-Scientific, English-Scientific, and Commercial, with Household Economy added.

Date(s): 1870-1983

Extent: 1 box, 10 folders