MG 751 - Graydon Letters Collection

<< MG 750MG 752 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains primarily letters written to Eleanor (Nelly) Graydon. They include:

Nine letters from R. Talbot to Nelly (Mrs. William Graydon), 1794-1798, most written in Philadelphia

One letter to Eleanor from her father, William Graydon, 1834

Four notes to Nelly Scull from William Graydon, undated

Eight letters to Nelly from William Graydon, 1788, 1802, some undated

Five miscellaneous pieces including two pages of poetry, sister's farewell, epigram 1840, an Order issued by William Graydon, 1826

An envelope addressed to Mrs. Clifford E. Albert

An issue of the Indianapolis Daily Gazette, January 31, 1863.

Background

William Graydon was a son of Alexander Graydon and Rachel Marks, born in Bucks County in 1759. He was educated in Philadelphia and studied law under Edward Biddle. He came to Harrisburg at the time of the organization of the county of Dauphin and practiced law after being admitted to the bar in May, 1786. He was a notary public, member of town council, and one of the burgesses. He was the author of several books on law and a prominent member of the First Presbyterian Church. He married Eleanor Scull in October, 1787. Two sons are H. Murray Graydon and Dr. William Graydon. He died in Harrisburg in 1840. Additional genealogy of the Graydon, McKinney and Scull families can be found in the Alexander Library.

Date(s): 1794-1863

Extent: 1 box, 4 folders, 29 enclosures