MG 765 - Harrisburg Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

<< MG 764MG 766 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains the "First Annual Report," of the Harrisburg Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals published in 1912. It provides the history of the organization which received a charter on May 5, 1911 with a list of the original members and officers, the policies of the organization, reports of the corresponding secretary and treasurer, annual members, points of a good stable, points of a bad stable, and how to proceed in cases of cruelty. The booklet has the words, "Mr. Henry C. Orth, Masonic Temple," written on cover.

Background

The Harrisburg Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was organized early in 1911 by nine interested persons. The organization received its charter on May 2, 1911 and in one year's time grew to 102 members. Its headquarters were located in a room in the Masonic Temple. The focus of the society was the prevention of cruelty to animals, but the primary focus appears to be the prevention of cruelty to horses.

Date(s): 1912

Extent: 1 folder, 1 enclosure