MG 774 - Donegal Presbyterian Church Collection

<< MG 773MG 775 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains a small leaflet, "Brief History of Donegal Church," taken from the book, "The Donegal Church," by the Rev. C. Benjamin Segelken, pastor from 1926 to 1943; programs for the Annual Reunions, 1920, 1926, 1931, 1938, 1975; a letter written on Donegal Presbyterian Church note paper concerning the early history; a photo of the Donegal Church and Graveyard taken in 1876 with information on the founding of the church and listing the pastors from 1721 to 1876.

Background

The Donegal Presbyterian Church was organized early in the 18th century. An application was made in 1721 for a regular supply minister, but it was not until 1727 when Rev. James Anderson became the first pastor. The members of the church pledged themselves to the cause of independence, and many served as officers and soldiers in the war with England. A large oak tree at the front of the church became know as the "witness tree," where, according to an early story, the members vowed allegiance to the cause of the patriots after hearing the news of the invasion of Pennsylvania by Lord Howe in 1777.

The exact age of the church building is not known definitely, but the date is set approximately as 1725-1730, with remodeling done about 1774 and again in 1851.

Date(s): 1876-1985

Extent: 1 folder, 8 enclosures