MG 776 - Hotels,Taverns & Boarding Houses (Early) Collection

<< MG 775MG 777 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains advertising brochures, receipt, and information on the early hotels and boardings houses in Harrisburg, 1840-1950's. It includes: Envelope from the Alva Hotel, opposite Pennsylvania Station, undated; advertising brochures for Buehler's Hotel on the northeast corner of Market Square and Capitol Motels on Jonestown Road; a receipt issued to William Colt by George Prince of the State Capital Hotel, 1840; a listing of hotel and boarding houses by the Department of Pennsylvania, G.A.R. available for the 44th annual encampment in 1910; letterhead from the William Penn Hotel, undated; a typewritten history of the Black Horse Tavern taken from a local newspaper dated February 18, 1879; a handwritten history of the Running Pump Tavern done in 1903, described by Nevin W. Moyer; an alphabetical listing of 64 early hotels and taverns with a brief description and address of each.

Date(s): 1840-1950's

Extent: 1 folder, 10 enclosures