MG 836 - Notarial Registers Collection

<< MG 835MG 837 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains the registers of several notary publics of Dauphin County from 1861 to 1873. They are:

R. J. Fleming, 1861-1862

John W. Brown, 1860-1863

S. H. Alleman, 1869-1873

Background

R. J. FLEMING, b. 1803, d. 1874, was a teacher of English grammar and music as a young man. In 1834 he established a coach making business and was quite successful unitl the entire establishment was destroyed by fire in June, 1865. He was appointed notary public in 1861 and held office until his death.

JOHN W. BROWN, b. 1830, d. 1900, graduated from the college at Mercersburg in 1849 and came to Harrisburg entering the law office of John C. Kunkel. He was a prominent attorney for a number of years and was elected City Solicitor. In 1867 in partnership with D.W. Moore he took charge of the Patriot until 1873. In 1882 he entered the foundry business with Augustus Reel until he retired in 1897.

S. H. ALLEMAN, b. 1818, d. 1881, was educated at Pennsylvania College Gettysburg and admitted to the practice of law in Dauphin County in 1845, to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania in 1848. He was superintendent of public schools in Snyder County in 1862 and elected a member of the Legislature in 1864-65. He was also a collector of internal revenue of the Fourteenth district. He died in February, 1881.

Date(s): 1861-1873

Extent: 1 carton, 15 folders