MG 005 - Harrisburg Academy Collection

<< MG 004MG 006 >>

Scope and Content

Includes several histories of the Academy; a thesis written in 1995 by J. Gregory Morgan entitled, "The Early Years of the Harrisburg Academy, 1784-1860;" a thesis by Thomas Cheney written in May, 2009, "The Harris', the Graydons' Others of Note and the Early Years of the Harrisburg Academy;" the original handwritten minutes of the meetings of the Board of Trustees, 1786 to 1810, and a bound volume of typewritten minutes from 1809 to 1925; a volume of correspondence, 1810-1858; copies of the publication, "The Spectator," 1911, 1918, 1941, 1949, 1950-53, 1956, 1959, 1974; copies of the school newspaper, "The Academian," 1887, 1895; brochures, programs, catalogues; three copies of the publication, "The Academy Mirror," 1892; commencement programs for 1931 and 2000; and photographs.

Background

The Harrisburg Academy dates back to 1784 when John Harris brought in a school master to teach his own and his neighbor's children in one room of the Harris Mansion. In 1809 the Academy was officially chartered under the laws of the Commonwealth and funds were granted to purchase a lot of ground to erect a suitable building. The school continued operation under many headmasters and in many locations. In 1948 the Academy merged with the Seiler School and became co-educational. In 1959 L. B. Smith donated four acres of land in Wormleysburg Borough, the Academy purchased more land and for the first time in its long history the Academy moved to the west shore of the Susquehanna River where it continues to flourish today.

Date(s): 1786-2000

Extent: 4 boxes