MG 018 - Seiler School of Harrisburg Collection

<< MG 017MG 019 >>

Scope and Content

Includes the minutes of the meetings of the Seiler School patrons and Board of Trustees, 1931-1944; financial papers, 1939-1940; correspondence, 1940-1943; play programs, 1915; and an advertisement flier for the school, undated; newspaper clippings reporting the suspension of the school for the duration of the war, 1943, and papers of the Seiler Junior School established in 1944; family correspondence and obituaries; copies of the school publication, "The Cricket" and yearbooks for 1939 and 1941; and the fortieth anniversary program with newspaper clippings, 1939.


The Seiler School was founded in 1898 by Sue Seiler, daughter of Dr. Jacob Fridley Seiler who was the headmaster of the Harrisburg Academy for forty-seven years. It began as a kindergarten for boys and girls next door to the Academy in the historic stone mansion of William Maclay at 401 North Front Street. The school was very successful and Martha Seiler joined her sister as co-principal. In 1908 it introduced a college preparatory school course for girls and sent many of its graduates to leading colleges. The Misses Seiler retired as joint principals in 1919 and the school continued in operation until 1943 when the trustees suspended operation for the duration of the war (World War II).

Date(s): 1907-1944

Extent: 1 box, 15 folders, 46 enclosures