MG 019 - Pennsylvania Female College Collection

<< MG 018MG 020 >>

Scope and Content

Consists of the "Annual Catalogue and Circular of the Pennsylvania Female College," for 1854-1856; a composition book of Emma Kirk with a handwritten "Valedictory Address" delivered in 1856; booklets with the address delivered at the opening of the college in 1853 and the commencement in 1854; circulars describing the college, 1853 and 1855; the attendance/grade book kept by the Rev. Beverly R. Waugh, principal of the college, prior to 1855; a copy of the program of the third annual commencement in 1856; a program for musical entertainment given at the college in 1860; and a typewritten paper by T. R. McIntosh about the medal awarded to outstanding members of the graduating class, undated.

Background

The Pennsylvania Female College was incorporated by the Pennsylvania Legislature at the session of 1853 and located at that time in the building of B. Parke on Market Street in Harrisburg. The college was later moved to the John Harris Mansion on Front Street and continued in operation there until 1863. The board of trustees included the governor of Pennsylvania, William Bigler, Simon Cameron, Hamilton Alricks, James Buchanan of Lancaster, and many other men of distinction.

Date(s): 1853-1908

Extent: 1 box, 7 folders, 13 enclosures