MG 028 - Home for the Friendless Collection

<< MG 027MG 029 >>

Scope and Content

Consists of "The Story of the Home for the Friendless," a printed copy of an address given by Mrs. Edwin C. Thompson before the Historical Society of Dauphin County in January, 1938, a typewritten copy of the same address signed by Katherine K. Thompson, and a handwritten note concerning the changing of the name "Home for the Friendless" to the "Bethany Home," but no official action was taken. The note is undated and unsigned.


The establishment of the Home for the Friendless took place at a meeting of ladies representing various religious denominations of the city in the Lecture Room of the Market Square Presbyterian Church in November, 1866. Mrs. Eliza E. Haldeman was elected as its first president. Originally established for the purpose of providing a home for little girls, in the years that followed the number of girls declined and it was advisable to give a home to widows and elderly "maiden ladies." The home was situated at Fifith and Muench Streets in Harrisburg at the time of the address given in 1938.

Date(s): 1938

Extent: 1 folder, 3 enclosures