MG 039 - Beatty Collection

<< MG 038MG 040 >>

Scope and Content

Includes Articles of Agreement between George Beatty and John B. Simon, February 18, 1857 for John B. Simon to build for George Beatty a four-story brick building on the west corner of Market and Sixth Streets in the Borough of Harrisburg (a tavern house); Articles of Agreement between George Beatty and John B. Simon for Simon to build a two-story brick front building with a two-story back building on a lot of ground on Front Street below Mary's Alley, July, 1859; receipts to George Beatty for a yearly dower paid to Sarah Balsley for lot number 6 adjoining the Borough of Harrisburg, 1839 to 1861; receipts to George Beatty, Administrator of the estate of John Downey, 1844; receipted invoices to Mrs. George Beatty from Seilor Academy for son Henry, 1861 & 1862; from Shisler & Frazer, grocer, 1861; from Anthony King, hardware, 1861; from Eagle Mills, flour, feed & grain, 1862; from Hummel & Raber, coal, 1867; a printed memorial book for Winifred Irene Mumma, October, 1903, sent to Henry Beatty.

Background

George Beatty b.1781, d.1862 was a well-known clock and watch-maker. He established himself in business in Harrisburg in 1808 and continued in business for more than forty years. He took a prominent part in local affairs, served a term as director of the poor, and as county auditor. He was elected burgess of the borough and was a member of the town council for several years.

Date(s): 1839-1903

Extent: 2 folders, 11 enclosures

Creator: Beatty Family