MG 086 - Methodist Churches in Dauphin County

<< MG 085MG 087 >>

Scope and Content

Contains the programs, directories, clippings of:

Grace United Methodist Church, 1880-1990

Stevens Memorial Methodist Church, 1959

Fifth Street United Methodist Church, 1950 & 1970

Riverside Methodist Church, 1956

Hummelstown Methodist Church, 1951

Millersburg Methodist Church, 1966

St. Paul's Methodist Church, 1957

St. Mark's Methodist Church in Coxestown, 1935

St. Mark's United Methodist Church, 1978

First United Methodist Church of Hershey, 1968

Wesley United Methodist Church, 1990

Riverside Methodist Episcopal Chapel, 1980

Locust Street M. E. Church, 1862

Camp Curtin Memorial Methodist Church, 1989

Epworth United Methodist Church, 1965, 1990

Includes, also, a bound volume of early circuit-rider records, 1790-1831.

Background

The dedication of the first Methodist church in Harrisburg was in 1820 in a small building at Second and South Streets. The direct outgrowth of that first congregation is the present-day Grace Church, and by the early 1900's seven other congregations were formed as the growth of the community demanded. Those seven were St. Paul's, Ridge Avenue, Stevens Memorial, Fifth Street, Camp Curtin Memorial, Epworth, and Riverside.

Date(s): 1790-1990

Extent: 1 box, 18 folders, 53 enclosures