MG 122 - Pennsylvania Society of Colonial Dames

<< MG 121MG 123 >>

Scope and Content

Consists of a notebook with the membership list and minutes of business meetings of the Dauphin County Committee with newspaper clippings, reports, essays, and letters pertaining to the issues of the Society. The second folder has copies of a form letter by Mrs. Spencer Nauman, Chairman of the Dauphin County Committee, announcing the dedication of markers being placed at four North Front Street houses once occupied by governors of Pennsylvania who served during the 1800's. Also included are short biographies of the governors who lived in the houses. They are William Bigler, John Andrew Shulze, Francis Rawn Shunk, and William Findlay.

Background

The Dauphin County Committee of the National Society of Colonial Dames of America was formed January 22, 1904. The original members were Mrs. A. J. Herr, Mrs. E. C. Kunkel, Miss Catharine Egle, and Miss Mary Harris Pearson. The purpose of the Society was to restore and preserve buildings connected with the early history of our country, and to create an interest in our colonial history. The Dauphin County Committee placed markers on historical homes, wrote essays informing the public of our heritage, and placed commemorative plaques at sites all over the county.

Date(s): 1904-1960

Extent: 2 folders, 6 enclosures