MG 129 - Pelgram and Meyer Mills

<< MG 128MG 130 >>

Scope and Content

Contains sixteen volumes of cloth sample books of the Pelgram and Meyer Mill from 1903-1927. The books provide the fabric pattern number, type of material and the specific information concerning its manufacture.

Background

The Harrisburg Cotton Mill was the city's first manufacturing plant, but passed to new owners shortly before the Panic of 1893. It was located around North and Second Streets. The factory was under the control of William Calder and his personal wealth kept the firm's credit rating solid in spite of low earnings. Following his death in 1880 control of the mill passed to George Calder of Lancaster. In the mid-1880's the mill was sold to the New York firm of Pelgram and Meyer. The new owners converted the Harrisburg mill to silk, which was shipped to New York City. The plant re-opened in 1887 and employed a work force of about five hundred.

Date(s): 1903-1927

Extent: 13 boxes, 16 enclosures