MG 142 - Washington Hose & Chemical Company

<< MG 141MG 143 >>

Scope and Content

Collection contains a booklet, "Historical Sketch of the Washington Hose Company, No. 4," from 1841 to 1883, which includes the constitution and by-laws, list of members, minutes of the meetings, a log of fire calls, and other information of the Company with index.

Business papers include formal agreements, insurance papers, invoices and receipts, and deeds to the property on Chestnut Street. Miscellaneous items include a ticket to the annual ball, December, 1866, and the program for the 100th anniversary of the Company in 1941 with a photograph of the president at that time, W. A. Davis.

Background

The introduction of water by hydrants into the Borough of Harrisburg, January, 1841, made it necessary to have a quantity of hose to supply water from hydrants to engines and into the buildings. A group of young men recognized the need and met later that month to organize and raise funds for the purchase of a hose carriage. In March of the same year, the Town Council furnished them with 600 feet of leather hose and enough money was subscribed by the citizens to purchase a carriage at the cost of $180. In April the company was formally organized and named the Washington Hose Company of Harrisburg, a constitution and by-laws were adopted, and officers elected.

Date(s): 1844-1941

Extent: 1 box, 6 folders, 24 enclosures