MG 158 - Harrisburg Cotton Mill Company

<< MG 157MG 159 >>

Scope and Content

Collection contains the minute book of the Board of Directors of the Harrisburg Cotton Mill Company, July, 1849 to September, 1865; books listing the share holders; a few legal papers including a notice from the Auditor General and lists of delinquent subscribers; the Company Charter, 1851; and photo copies of news articles about the mill, 1849-1851 with a newspaper photo of the building of the Harrisburg Cotton Mill in 1855 and the Central Y. M. C. A. building on the same corner after the mill was razed in 1929.

Background

The Harrisburg Cotton Mill was the city's first manufacturing plant, but passed to new owners shortly before the Panic of 1893. It was located around North and Second Streets. The factory was under the control of William Calder and his personal wealth kept the firm's credit rating solid in spite of low earnings. Following his death in 1880 control of the mill passed to George Calder of Lancaster. In the mid-1880's the mill was sold to the New York firm of Pelgram and Meyer. The new owners converted the Harrisburg mill to silk, which was shipped to New York City. The plant re-opened in 1887 and employed a work force of about five hundred, but the mill was razed in 1929.

Date(s): 1849-1940

Extent: 5 folders, 12 enclosures