MG 168 - Progress Fire Company

<< MG 167MG 169 >>

Scope and Content

Collection consists of the 50th anniversary booklet which includes the program for the celebration, officers of the company, the fire chief's report, biographical sketches of some of the older members, the history of the company, photographs, and advertisements of local businesses, 1978.


The first official meeting of the Progress Fire Company was held February 22, 1928 and the motto "Always Willing and Ready" was adopted. The charter was completed in April of the same year and the Court of Common Pleas designated the company as a duly chartered organization. Local interest ran high and funds came in at a steady rate, apparatus and equipment was purchased and the residents of Progress no longer had to rely on a neighbor to keep them safe from fire. The organization and the population of the township continued rapid growth and by its 30th anniversary in 1958 ground was broken for a new structure. Additional equipment was necessary to serve the growing area and in 1977 a "Two-Mill Fire Referendum" was passed so that more operating money could be realized. The Progress Fire Company continues today as a self-supporting, non-profit organization serving the citizens of the Progress area.

Date(s): 1978

Extent: 1 folder, 1 item