MG 247 - Klein, Theodore B. Collection

<< MG 246MG 248 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains the handwritten manuscripts of Theodore B. Klein's articles and speeches delivered in the early 1900's. They include:

Fires in Harrisburg and the Fire-Fighters Since 1837 with newspaper clippings

A Welcome Home, c. 1905

Gleanings from the Harrisburg Directory, 1856

Extension of the Capitol Park, 1913

Camp Curtin, undated

Memories of the Harrisburg Markets of Long Ago, 1902

A speech given at the dedication of the new capitol, 1906, along with a typed copy of the "Salutatory of the Historical Society of Dauphin County to the New State Capitol," presented to the Hon. Samuel W. Pennypacker, Governor of the Commonwealth

In Memoriam, George Bucher Ayres

The Happy Hunting Grounds of Harrisburg Boys Sixty Years Ago, 1908

The 39th Anniversary Celebration of the Historical Society of Dauphin County, 1908

The New Viaduct, 1909

The Anniversary of the Historical Society of Dauphin County, 1907 & 1909

Gleanings from the Oracle of Dauphin published in 1820, 1909

Let's Go Down to the River, 1902

Echoes from the Harrisburg Directory of 1839

Sketch of a Silent City in Our Midst, c.1903

Background

Theodore B. Klein was born in New Cumberland in 1831, but moved with his parents to Harrisburg in early childhood. He was educated in the public schools and the Harrisburg Military Academy. He was engaged in a variety of enterprises such as the enlargement of the Union Canal east of Lebanon, book-keeper at the Paxtang furnaces, the lumber, coal and grain business, cashier of the North Lebanon Savings Bank, a milling and iron business, a representative in the legislature, chief clerk in the department of internal affairs and later appointed deputy secretary, by which he became superintendent of the bureau of railroads. He was married first to Rebecca Frazier, second to Eva Margaretta Roedel, and third to Esther Shellenberger. He was a member and first vice-president of the Historical Society of Dauphin County.

Date(s): 1901-1913

Extent: 1 box, 13 folders, 24 enclosures