MG 376 - Churches of God Collection

<< MG 375MG 377 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains materials concerning the history of the Churches of God including a printed copy of remarks by Hugh Hamilton made in a presentation to the Historical Society of Dauphin County in 1914 concerning the book, "History of the Churches of God," by Rev. Christian H. Forney; a "History of the First Church of God," Linglestown, compiled by Darrell F. Stone, c. 1967; and newspaper clippings from The Patriot, 1960 and The Paxton Herald, 1975.

The papers of John Winebrenner include a pamphlet of the Hymns sung at the Dedication of the German Reformed Church in August, 1822, in German and English; a photocopy of a translation of a sermon in German by Rev. Winebrenner written during his student days in Philadelphia (1817-1820); a photocopy of a letter by John Winebrenner to a friend in Harrisburg, 1827.

The dedication and anniversary booklets include a paper with the hymns to be sung at the laying of the cornerstone of the Fourth Street Bethel Church, 1854; a paper listing the hymns for the dedication of the Fourth Street Bethel, 1855; cards listing the Holy Scripture to be read in worship, 1859, Fourth Street Bethel; a print of the Metropolitan Church, 1854; a discourse, "The Glory of the Church," delivered at the opening of a church building erected by the Church of God, Shippensburg, by Elder W. O. Owen, Pastor of the Church of God, Harrisburg; the 50th anniversary of the Maclay Street Church of God, 1953; "Unlocking Doors," a historical pageant commemorating the 135th anniversary of the Churches of God, produced during the Centennial of the City of Harrisburg, 1960; and the 150th anniversary booklet of the First Church of God, 1975.

Date(s): 1822-1975

Extent: 3 folders, 15 enclosures