MG 377 - Bucher Collection

<< MG 376MG 378 >>

Scope and Content

This manuscript group is an extensive collection of the papers of the Rev. John Conrad Bucher, his son, John Jacob Bucher and his son John Conrad Bucher II from the 1700's to the early 1900's. The collection includes daybooks, account books, ledgers, invoices and receipts, legal papers, court proceedings, and a large amount of correspondence.

The papers of the Rev John Conrad Bucher are written in Schwyzerdutsch (Swiss German).

Background

JOHN CONRAD BUCHER was born in Switzerland in 1730. He came to America in 1755. He was a soldier in the British army; he was appointed Lieutenant in 1760 and then Captain in 1764. He also served as Chaplain. He was Pastor of the German Reformed Congregation and resided in Carlisle. He married Mary Hook and moved to the town of Lebanon in Lancaster County in 1768. He was stationed there as Pastor of the German Reformed Congregation until his death in 1780.

JOHN JACOB BUCHER, b.1764, d.1827, was the son of the Rev. John Conrad Bucher, a noted early divine. Jacob Bucher located in Harrisburg in 1790 as a hatter and furrier; in 1796 he was elected coroner of Dauphin County; in 1798 he was appointed Justice of the Peace by Gov. Mifflin; in 1803 he was elected to the Pennsylvania Legislature and served nine terms; in 1810 he was appointed by Gov. Snyder as a building commissioner; in 1818 he was appointed by Gov. Findlay as associate judge for the county of Dauphin, a position he held until his death in 1827. He married Susanna Margaret Hortter of Germantown in 1792.

JOHN CONRAD BUCHER II, b. 1792, d. 1851, was the son of John Jacob Bucher. In early life he was engaged in merchandising; in 1830 he was elected to represent Dauphin and Lebanon Counties in the 22nd Congress of the U. S.; in 1839 he was appointed by Gov. Porter as associate judge of the courts of Dauphin County, a position he held for twelve years. He also served as a school director, president of the board of education, an officer of the German Reformed congregation, a leading layman in the ecclesiastical councils of the church, treasurer of the board and theological seminary. He married Ellen Isett of Huntingdon County in 1820.

Date(s): 1795-1904

Extent: 2 cartons, 3 boxes, 783 enclosures