MG 838 - National War Aid Daughters of 1917 Society

<< MG 837MG 839 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains the membership files of the Harrisburg Chapter of the Daughters of 1917; correspondence sent to Cymbeline Felker concerning membership information; a record book with index concerning the gold star register of men from the Harrisburg area who gave their lives in the world war including newspaper clippings and other items; a scrapbook of clippings, cards, letters, etc.; correspondence to Mrs. Meade D. Detweiler, second vice president and registrar of the organization.

Background

The National War Aid was founded in answer to an appeal from the firing line in France for the American women to support their Army and Navy by taking an active interest in the war. The purpose was to aid other women who sacrificed for Democracy, write letters to relatives in the service, work for and through the Red Cross, and other personal work. There were no annual dues; work was carried on by voluntary contributions. The president of the organization was Mrs. William Jennings; vice presidents were Mrs. George Kunkel, Mrs. Meade D. Detweiler, and Mrs. V. C. Rausch.

Date(s): 1917-1919

Extent: 1 carton