MG 852 - Redus Family Collection

<< MG 851MG 853 >>

Scope and Content

The collection contains papers of several generations of the Hunter, Meyers, and Redus families from the mid 1800's to the 1970's. They include:

One volume of copies of typed business letters of W. K. Meyers, many political in nature, from 1895-1899

One volume of records of assays by G. W. Miller, 1899-1900

Original marriage certificate for William K. Meyers and Mary Hunter, November 14, 1893

Scrapbooks of Mary Elizabeth Meyers, containing news clips, correspondence, invitations, etc., 1891-1921, 1920's, 1910-1930, one undated, four volumes

Mary Elizabeth Meyers school books, 6 volumes

Scrapbooks of Winifred K. Meyers, 1912-19, 1920-21, 1920-25, 1920's & 1930's, 1926-38, five volumes

Scrapbooks of William Koontz Meyers, Jr., 1860's and early 1900's, two volumes

Scrapbooks of Mary Hunter Redus, 1933-35, 1936-39, 1920-50, 1935-75, 1940's, 1935-40, 1940-45, 1940-57, eight volumes

Mary Redus school reports, 1937-65

Mary Redus correspondence concerning school credits, 1964

Mary Redus certificates

Mary Redus personal correspondence, 1984

Mary Hunter Redus diary, 1938-43

Correspondence and other papers concerning Mary Hunter Redus' membership in the Order of the Crown of Charlemagne in the United States of America, Daughters of the American Revolution, the Colonial Dames of America, the National Society of the Colonial Daughters of the Seventeenth Century, and the Board for Certification of Genealogists

Family genealogy

James B. Redus, Jr. school papers and news clippings, 1930's; diploma from Harrisburg Academy, 1938; and other schools papers, 1938-43

James Redus' general scrapbook of group photos, undated

Scrapbook of "Jim Redus Day," June 18, 1957

Certificates presented to J. Redus, 1947-65

Certificate from Pennsylvania Power & Light Company in recognition of James Redus' forty-three years of service.

Papers concerning the inventory, storage,and dispensation of the furniture, china, silver and other personal effects of Winifred Meyers, 1973.

Estate tax returns for William K. Meyers, Mary Meyers Redus, Mary Hunter Meyers, Forrest Hunter

Copies of the wills of William K. Meyers, Jr., Forrest Hunter, Mary Hunter Meyers, William K. Meyers

Certificates of Appraisal by Miller Brothers on properties at 227-229 Market Street and 115 Locust Street

Agreement between family members, and legal papers granting Power of Attorney to James Redus Jr. by Winifred Meyers

Booklet and scrapbook of the Flood of 1936

Certificate issued to Julia Clark for membership in the Sylvan Heights Queen's Daughters, 1918, with series of photos presumably Miss Clark

Yearbook from the Baldwin School with inscription, "Mary Elizabeth Meyers, May, 1913"

Issues of "Katy-Did," a magazine of the Katharine Sweeney Day School (9)

Katydid yearbook , silver anniversary issue, 1955

Issues of "The Spectator," a quarterly of the Harrisburg Academy, 1933-37

Spectator Yearbook, 1954, 1961, 1974

By-Laws of the Rotary Club with roster of members, 1944-62

Booklet of the Harrisburg Club, 1903

Newsletter of the Harrisburg Hospital, Aug., 1948

Pamphlet for the Harrisburg Public Library, 1965, 75th Anniversary year.

Seven deeds for a lot of ground numbered sixty-one in the general plan of the Borough of Harrisburg, later known as 213 North Front Street, from 1795 to 1907 when it was purchased by Forrest Hunter and Mary Hunter Meyers.

A deed for a tract of land in Lower Allen Township, containing ninety-nine acres, sold by Joseph Feeman to Mary Hunter in 1891

A blueprint of the plan of lots known as Hillside on the Hunter Farm in Lower Allen Township, Cumberland County, undated.


GEORGE W. HUNTER was born in Ireland in 1828 and came to Harrisburg in 1861. He purchased the Lochiel Hotel at Third and Market Streets in 1868 and operated the hotel until his death in 1891. He married Mary Bowman of Lebanon, Pennsylvania; they had two children, Forrest and Mary Elizabeth.

FORREST HUNTER was born in Harrisburg in 1869. He was educated in private schools and at Seiler's Academy of Harrisburg. He was in the hotel business for most of his career and assumed the proprietorship of the Lochiel Hotel upon his father's death in 1891.

MARY ELIZABETH HUNTER, daughter of George and Mary Bowman Hunter, was born in 1871. She was active in many Harrisburg charities until her death in 1922. She married William K. Meyers, an attorney, in November, 1893. Their children were William K., Winifred M. and Mary Elizabeth who married James B. Redus, Sr., son of Dr. W. D. Redus.

JAMES B. REDUS, JR. AND MARY HUNTER REDUS, donors of the Redus collection were the children of James B. Redus Sr. and Mary Meyers Redus.

Date(s): 1860's-1970's

Extent: 4 cartons, 3 boxes