MG 188 - Potts Family Collection

<< MG 187MG 189 >>

Scope and Content

Collection contains records of five generations of the Potts/Owen family covering the time period from 1871 to 1970. The materials include correspondence, newspaper clippings, publications, certificates, estate papers, and family photos. A great deal of the information concerns Dr. George C. Potts and his wife Edith Owen Potts, daughter of Thomas F. Owen and Mary White Owen.

Background

MILTON C. POTTS, b.1845, d. 1918, was born near Lewisberry, York County. He was a former president of the West Harrisburg and Hill Market companies and a former Dauphin County Director of the Poor. He was one of the organizers of the Merchants National Bank and the Central Trust Company. He married Ella S. Ringler in 1867; their children were Dr. George C. Potts, Lillie Potts (Mrs. George Landis) and Miss Alwilda Potts.

T. KIRK WHITE, b. 1826, d. 1901, was born in Maryland. In 1855 he moved to York and established the Pennsylvania Commercial College, which he conducted until the beginning of war. He was elected Justice of the Peace in 1861, a position he held until 1865. He then began in the insurance business and became very well known as agent and adjuster for the Phoenix Assurance Company. He was married to Susan Smith in 1849; they had seven children, one being Mary who married Thomas F. Owen.

GEORGE C. POTTS, b. 1869, d. 1964, was a pharmacist at 1100 North Third Street, Harrisburg. He graduated from the Philadelphia College of Pharmacy and Science in 1889 and served his apprenticeship under Dr. W. M. L. Weills. He was president of the Harrisburg Natural History Society for 29 years. In 1906 he built an up-to-date drug store and apartment house at the corner of Third and Herrs Streets. It was four stories high and the first of its kind in the city. He retired in 1924 and turned the business over to his son, Milton G. Potts. He was married to Edith Owen Potts; they had three children: Mary K. Potts (Mrs. Bernard Wert), Milton G. Potts, and T. Owen Potts, all in the Harrisburg area.

Date(s): 1856-1970

Extent: 1 carton, 1 box, 114 enclosures

Arrangement: An attempt has been made to enter the materials according to the generations, with the oldest entered first.