From the 2008 New Deal Exhibit - Photo 11 of 40

Early Construction of the PA Liquor Control Building (c1940)

In 1938 the State announced the LCB building would be constructed on the block bound by Forster, Capital, Boas, and James Streets. The Public Works Administration would fund part of the $1.1 million cost.

The LCB building was "finished" on the west elevation because the long-range plan was to demolish buildings on Third Street for the official entrance. Until abandoned, that plan caused Dr. J. Horace McFarland and the State Art Commission to oppose the site.

Thumbnail 1Thumbnail 2Thumbnail 3Thumbnail 4Thumbnail 5
Thumbnail 6Thumbnail 7Thumbnail 8Thumbnail 9Thumbnail 10
Thumbnail 11Thumbnail 12Thumbnail 13Thumbnail 14Thumbnail 15
Thumbnail 16Thumbnail 17Thumbnail 18Thumbnail 19Thumbnail 20
Thumbnail 21Thumbnail 22Thumbnail 23Thumbnail 24Thumbnail 25
Thumbnail 26Thumbnail 27Thumbnail 28Thumbnail 29Thumbnail 30
Thumbnail 31Thumbnail 32Thumbnail 33Thumbnail 34Thumbnail 35
Thumbnail 36Thumbnail 37Thumbnail 38Thumbnail 39Thumbnail 40